Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Child Is Not The Poster Child For Autism...

... he is however, a child on the autism spectrum.

My school district refuses to acknowledge my son is a child on the spectrum. The school psychologist disputes the findings in the evaluation I obtained through the NYU Child Study Center, NYC. She states, my son doesn't show the social aspect for him to truly have "autism" as it's defined under Autism DSM 299.0. She has only an MA and challenges the findings conducted by experts with Ph.D's in the field of autism spectrum disorders.

To meet the challenges of appropriately educating my son, it requires more resources they do not presently have but will not say it's the reason. However, it doesn't change the fact that my child is in need as the children are in the video.

We have a significant problem in the U.S. school system that fails to not make available these resources for every child in need. The laws state we must provide but the requirements to meet the challange are elusive in many school districts. What does it say about our public education that a parent must be fortunate enough to win a lottery with odds stacked against them so their child can have the appropriate education he needs and deserves.


Watch the full episode. See more PBS NewsHour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments on this blog.

Namaste